There are different kinds of abuse. The trouble is that we often only acknowledge physical abuse. The scars are not visible but they are real and have longterm implications on any relationship.
Signs of Emotional Abuse:
- Feeling like you are walking on eggshells and always worried about how your partner will react.
- Makes you feel like less of a person than you know yourself to be.
- You feel like you have No say when it comes to regular day to day stuff e.g. spending money etc…
- Spend hours to think of all the possible scenarios in the attempt to avoid a fight.
- You feel like certain rules are set only for You, while he/she does whatever they choose.
- They say or imply that you are the crazy one or you are starting to believe you are the crazy one in the relationship.
- They make jokes that put you down but then says you are too sensitive when you bring it up. They make you feel bad about yourself.
- Expects you to act a certain way or dress a certain way (hair, nails, clothes, etc.) They control everything about your life.
- Will use the children against you (threatening he/she will get custody and take the children away if you were to leave etc.) You feel trapped!
- You feel things are your fault because he/she says/claims ‘You made them angry’! They say everything is Your fault, even yell it out to you.
- You receive affection mainly after a fight, wanting you to forgive and forget, even claims it won’t happen again or I “will” change. They treat you like a pet, not a partner.
- You are starting to second guess yourself or feel you can’t do anything right. You feel worthless
- You are afraid to talk to them about even the little things. They make you think the rest of the world is the problem.
- They don’t support you.
- You will do anything they ask and put them above everything else.